Saturday, June 30, 2007

more anxiety, dog related...

thank you ol' lady for voting me a rockin' girl blogger. i'm too tired and stressed out at the moment to figure out how to put the image icon of it on my blog and i don't know how to link up anyone i nominate as i have a mac and safari program does not work that high tech with blogger.

for now i'll just post as it's been a while. i was hoping again to do a comic strip post but not up to it right now.

super stress and anxiety about going to visit denzel's parents as we are leaving elvis with my parents. what seemed like a nice arrangement that had me relatively calm and ready to go home from dinner and pack slowly and clean the apt. was horribly shattered by a phone conversation with my mother.

not to bore you with the details but my father is much more amenible to taking care of elvis and as the baby of the family and daddy's little girl, i appreciate his sweetness and caring and that he at his age walks elvis and takes good care of him though it's not without its pain in the ass aspects. the late night walk is hard on him. my mother on the other hand tends to make everything into a big crisis in general and i caught her after a horrible long airplane trip and having to sit in the plane in the airport for two hours when they arrived home due to stupid security stuff. so she was in a terrible mood and started complaining about taking care of elvis and asking why we couldn't take him with us. there are many reasons it won't be ok to take him on this trip, but after talking to her, i was trying to figure out a way we could bring him, as it was so disturbing...

i kind of freaked out and burst into tears several times talking about it with denzel and later again. he was pretty pissed off himself and our whole evening was almost ruined. so much for packing and getting ready and cleaning.

we're still going to leave elvis with my parents tomorrow. i trust my dad to take great care of him and my mom will just have to deal with it. i think she mainly can't stand that he pees in her kitchen and she doesn't like all the walks. the funny thing is i think she misses him when he goes, but she complains and bitches and gets so anxious about it, it sucks. last time i made sure my dad was in charge of all the medication as he is very thorough.

anyway my other big stress from all this is i don't know what to do with elvis when i'm in the hospital. i'll be there for four days probably because i'm getting a c section. originally i had talked to my dad about my parents taking care of him while i was there. it seemed reasonable to ask them that small favor while i have a baby on no medications and recover from surgery and deal with learnign to nurse. but now i don't know what to do. i have one friend who could take care of him maybe but she now has a baby who will be almost one year by then and i don't know if she can handle it or will even want to. i may have to consider hiring a really good vet tech/dog care person to stay at our place and take care of the dog. i know they exist, i've seen their cards at the vet but i have no idea how much they cost. having a baby is costly enough. and i dont like the idea of elvis with a stranger. he's not used to being taken care of by anyone except a few people he knows really well and his other owner who does not live near here anymore. so it's a real point of stress, worry anxiety.
meanwhile ihave to survive this trip and hope my parents take good care of elvis and don't stress me out with complaining.

elvis is so important to me i'd sacrifice just about anything for him. i'm really anxious that having a baby is just too much and i have to be able to trust that he'll be ok. i had all kinds of scary thoughts tonight after denzel fell asleep.
i'm not packed or ready to go tom. morning in any way.
i feel very freaked out and am trying to tell myself it will all work out. reality is always much better than what's in my mind and my mother is very blunt and does not keep her feelings or annoyance to herself.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

Elvis will be just fine, dogs are tough cookies who can survive just about anything, living in the wild never mind living with gramps!.

Anyway, just to let you know I'll be thinking about you, Denzel and baby. Hope all goes quick and easy for you guys.

Best Wishes
mo

5:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marlena - I felt the same anxiety when we went on a trip and I had to leave my dog. I was so worried about what might happen to him or what someone might do, you know? I don't know how big of a town you live in, but I discovered "pet hotels"!!! You can "rent" a ridiculous "room", with like...3 or 4 rooms and a huge dogwalk, a television (they kept it on cartoons! haha), a single size bed with a comforter (and my dog's own blanket, of course), and it had a webcam that I could log onto and check him whenever I wanted. Do you know as SOON as he could tell where we were going after the first time, he would get out of control excited? He would be at the end of the leash when he got out of the car, while I was almost in tears! :-) They have a vet on staff, and every amenity you can imagine. If you live in a big enough city to have one or a few to choose from, the peace of mind is totally worth the $$$. I started to feel like I was letting Cody go on vacation, too. :-)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Ol' Lady said...

I agree with sunflower find a good dog care place. We always leave Dog at the best kennel, and he loves it...it is like a holiday for him...he gets excited when we turn off of the highway and go down the gravel road, like he remembers...I always feel better leaving him there cause if I left him with anyone or had someone stay at the house and if something was to happen to him I don't think I would ever forgive who ever, no matter what happened at least at a kennel it's business and they always have a vet on call. We don't have as fancy of a place as sunflower does but it is a real good place and it's reasonable. We pay $11/day which includes food (or you can bring your own) and if there are any special things (meds or something) they do that too. Might be worth looking into, ask your vet for recommendations.

7:06 PM  
Blogger marlena rivers said...

hi mo,
thanks for visiting. it's been a while. elvis ended up having a great tiem with his grandparents, i just wish they would offer to watch him while i'm in the hospitla.
kansassunflower and ol lady,
thanks for the comment and advice. i cannot send elvis to a kennel or hotel as he is almost 15 and gets too traumatized by unfamiliar environments. he is doing well but stress exacerbates his medical conditions. anyway he is best at his grandparents as he is very familiar with the environment and lived there with me for a while years ago at a point when i was staying there between apts. and he knows them and they do take great care of him. it's just too bad that it's such an inconvenience for them, but i'm nervous about trying something unfamiliar while i'm in the hospital dealing with the stress of haivng the baby. i'm thinking of trying out a vet recommended dog walker house sitter especially the ones who work with vets and know a lot about old dogs, medication, etc.
there's also always the chance that my parents will be nice and decide to help out during that difficult time but i'm realizing i can't rely on them.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home