Sunday, June 03, 2007

elvis back to his old self! me back to messier self...

the good new is that elvis is doing much better, back to his 14 year old puppy self, even doing some of his adorable puppy like things like getting enthusiastic puppy energy and bounding around before going downstairs to his walks. some of his slowness last week especially on wed. was due to the rabies shot which i found out makes you exhausted and stiff in the muscles.

he's now getting special beef pill pocket treats after meals to see if he can digest them ok and prepare him for getting cosequin, a glucosamine supplement for arthritis. of course i'm partly wondering if i should even give him the pill as he seems much better, but the vet noticed arthritis when she examined him even though he moved fine when i walked him around in front of her.

the main new stress about him is that i have to get his teeth cleaned this month and he has not had that done yet. it's bad to let it go further as his teeth are not in great condition but they have to put him out for it and of course i'm super worried about it.

in general i think my trip into the dark and familiar zone of the more crazy parts of my mind has ended for now with a return to better places, but i'm very anxious and tired, totally exhausted. i had fine plans to go through piles of things on my desk and try to do some cleaning as things are more disorderly than ever but i got home from an outing late afternoon and went straight to bed. i'm constantly tired and have no motivation. all the stereotypes about being pregnant and nesting are bullshit where i'm concerned.

i've been trying to resign myself to the baby arriving in a messy disorderly apartment and that plenty of slobs bring up happy children. it sucks that the media paints a picture of organized expectant parents happily painting special things on the walls of a sparkling baby room and a clean neat organized apartment or house. when i was growing up i used to feel trapped in a family of neat people and hated being told to clean my room. now i'm worried my poor baby will be trapped in a chaotic totally messy disorganized house. i've lost all hope of things getting pulled together. we only have a few more months left and i can barely keep my papers in order and pay bills on time, much less pick up clothing and keep the kitchen neat, a bare minimum. the idea that we can reorganize the apt. and build storage space and transform it in time for the baby seems hopeless. i'm realizing i'm still slightly depressed but in this case the feeling of resigning myself to the worst case scenario seems a lot more comforting than having grand ambitions for our place and making room for baby. you can't be disappointed when you resign yourself to the reality of your own limitations. it's also just too hard to motivate or imagine that i can motivate when i'm pregnant and constantly tired. just keeping up with the bare minimum of one day at a time is a huge challenge.

the idea of a baby shower is scary and daunting. more stuff to put in the middle of the apartment. there's no more room under the bed or under the big dining room table so anything we get or are given for the baby will just go in the middle of the loft.

i have rescue fantasies of some magic person coming over and fixing everything. i've watched too many reality tv show of makeovers. denzel would never let someone come and reorganize our place anyway. but i admit i've had fantasies of waving a wand and everything being organized and fixed in two seconds with no suffering of dealing with the worse chaos that occurs when you start moving things around to reorganize in a place that does not just feel like a big close/garbage dump but in fact is. tonight is indeed garbage night. it's usually my thing to take out the trash or make sure denzel does it but i don't really care. i know how far i've descended when i can't find favorite items of clothing and dont bother looking for them.

i woke up this morning with grand plans to have new energy and tackle my desk and area and clothing areas and closet but that was a fantasy. i'm back to not caring and feeling the ultimate lazy slothful feeling that is a big part of my personality. as i get older i only get worse as i get better at living in messier and messier and more disorganized environment. sometimes it seems to mirror my inner situation and gets me down even more. sometimes i think this is actually a strength. all the neat freaks out there with perfect and organized apartments are sitting on total fear of the real chaos that is life and their own emotions. at least i'm totally aware of and living in my chaos and lack of control or anything. but i'm wondering how great it is to bring up a baby in this kind of environment. i guess i'll just have to hope that the baby will see that life is messy and disorganized and uncertain and chaotic but love can be grown in very messy places and love is messy anyway...

any words of encouragement or support greatly appreciated. i''m not sure this post conveyed all my fear and anxiety and exhaustion with worrying about how to deal with the mess of the environment and the big fear of the bigger mess of figuring out how to manage my life when the baby is here and be a good enough mother. i had great hopes of drawing a fun comic about elvis but that went out the window with my big plans of getting organized. i'll probably walk him and make a bigger mess getting ready for bed. sometimes i notice i retreat to bed to hide from the rest of the mess. somehow the messy bed is a slight haven to hide from all the clutter and mess.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh boy do i understand! I've got 4 kids in a 3 bedroom! I'm running out of space..

Have someone come in and help you give it a good cleaning/organization before baby comes.. believe me.. its going to be hard enough to keep up with everyone once baby is here! That was always the most difficult thing for me to do.
1. I dont like people in my space. I dont invite people over much. I just like my PERSONAL Space.. Im not a hermit.. i just dont have much room as it is and prefer not to entertain at my home.. its a PERSONAL space..LOL..

2. I have my own way of doing things.. being big and pregnant.. i had to let go of that..

3. its out of my control

4. Scared someone will say ,"OMG where do you put all this crap"

lol.. But it was a must have for someone to come help me.. it was too overwhelming and although ti wasnt filth.. it was clutter and I didnt knwo where to begin.. I just wanted to cry when I thought about it.. And then lack of energy on top of it.. OYE!

I understand gir.. I completely 100% understand!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Jenny Davidson said...

hang in there, my dear! all will be well...

4:51 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I've always had similar issues with clutter for similar reasons. My son seems to be doing ok. Lots of kids like to hang out here. I think they feel comfortable. :)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Ol' Lady said...

glad to hear that Elvis is feelin better :) the glucosamine is real good for the doggies, I know it made a difference in mine.
the 'nestin' energy that people talk about will come when your closer to deliverin...it might last for a bit or it might only last for an hour...
don't sweat the small stuff...
if I lived near you I would come over and help to get you organized, that's one of my favorite passtimes...organizin things...OCPD :)
BTW I have moved new addy
http://sometimesstupid.blogspot.com
stop over when ya have a minute to spare...
I'm around if ya need me :)

7:37 PM  
Blogger The OE said...

I just moved the rebel base and have two rooms in order. First, the master bedroom. Which I have not moved everything into, but at least it's in order, and the main bathroom which I also have not moved everything into. The master bath is a disaster waiting to happen, my kitchen looks more like my fathers disjointed garage, and let's not get into the dining area or the basement. Or the yard for that matter. If worse comes to worse, I can always retreat to that bathroom and mount the battle from there.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Bleeding Heart said...

I had four kids living at home all at once, and we do the best we could. There is a difference of a messy home and a Dirty home.

You will do just fine. I promise :)

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home