Wednesday, August 22, 2007

biggest challenge of my bipolar pregnancy...



i've been wanting to express this in comic strip form for a while; it somehow could have come out better, but it's the best i can manage at 1am...
it is confusing enough dealing with bipolar episodes and constant monitoring of whether i'm manic, hypomanic, depressed, psychotic, mixed state etc. whether on or off medications, but being pregnant and bipolar throws in a real extra challenge -- hormones!
then the question becomes "am i being normal crazy hormonal pregnant or am i being crazy made more nutty by hormones but not at all norrmal for a pregnant lady at al, in other words, bipolar crazy and pregnant at same timel..." in some ways it's not that difficult. when i have symptoms that women describe having after having the baby or when they have postpartem issues, but i'm still pregnant, i know this ain't normal for being pregnant... when i feel crazy but it turns out, as denzel puts it "you're just exactly normal for being knocked up and so many months along! how does it feel to be just like everyone else at this stage! ha ha. i know how you hate to admit you're going through the same stuff every other hormonal pregnant woman goes through!!!" he likes to rub that in. i do admit that if i'm going to suffer through being bipolar and pregnant, at times i enjoy that i'm having a very unusual pregnant experience that brings me to deep levels of awareness of all the transformations i'm going through and that most pregnant women are protected from going to these places and lucky in that they don't suffer the torments of it, but at the same time they don't get the special experience of being so in touch with all this intense unconscious material that if you live through it without destroying yourself, the fetus and your partner and anyone else along the way, is quite an extra special experience... along with that i also get to have all the other regular normal pregnant hormonal stuff. so sometimes i confess i bask in my own admiration of my special crazy and pregnant status. i can't get too grandiose because denzel is around to bring me back down to earth...

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

I was not diagnosed with anything when I was pregnant, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be to try and monitor your moods with so many changes taking place.

Btw, are you going to go back on your meds as soon as you have the baby or are you planning to breastfeed?

6:25 PM  
Blogger Jean Grey said...

I used to wonder a lot if what I was going through was due to my bipolar, or just part of normal life. I still do, although less, but the answer these days is usually a little bit of each. But when I'm in a really bad depression, and I somehow drag myself to work and make it through the day, I really want a cheering section. But of course I don't tell anyone what I'm struggling with, so I don't get it.

3:46 PM  
Blogger marlena rivers said...

hi catherine,
i'm planning to try to breastfeed. i'm more worried that it wont work out physically as i've heard how hard it is than i am about whether i'll have to take meds adn stop breastfeeding, though that's also a concern.
hi emilija, well you have us to be your cheering section! keep on blogging.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Tery Lynne said...

When I was pregnant with my last child, I was bipolar and didn't know it.

All the symptoms I had when I was pregnant makes sense now and I could see the bipolar symptoms...paranoia, anxiety and so on..

But I made it through and so did my son who now started 2nd grade today.

You will make it through and you will shine through and your baby will be wonderful!!!

Hang in there!

7:43 PM  
Blogger ArmyBP said...

That cartoon rocks.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Ol' Lady said...

Your ups, downs and turn arounds are normal...
Hang in...your doin a great job :)

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long before you got pregnant did you stop your medication? Did your doctor approve it?

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home